But I don't mind. I don't think that being late a day or two could ever be as bad as spending weeks without a new entry. So, as I don´t want to give the impression that all the new post will be just to inform of my current blogging status, a little bit of proper text. Let's talk a little about the NFL...
A couple of weeks ago, 46 years old Norwegian place kicker Morten Andersen made a comeback to the league after retiring at the end of the 2004 season. Between 1982 and 2004, Andersen played for the New Orleans Saints, the Atlanta Falcons, the New York Giants, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Minnesota Vikings. Now he'll be once again playing for the Atlanta Falcons after Michael Koenen failed six field goals in the first two games of the season and coach Mora Jr decided to limit him to make punts only.Andersen holds several NFL records, including more career field goals (50 yards or more), more field goals (50 yards or more) in a single season, more field goals (50 yards or more) in the same game, more games played, and more games scoring points. Odds are than this year he will get two more records, since he's trailing Gary Anderson, already retired, by just 12 field goals and 56 points, so he could end the season being also the player with more FG converted and the player with more points scored in the history of the league.
Accordind to Sports Illustrated, Andersen once declared that he would like to play until 2010 and become the first 50 years old player in the NFL. He needs to play a game after December 8, 2008 to became the oldest player ever to play a game in the NFL, surpassing George Blanda, who played his last game in 1974 at an age of 48 years, 3 months and 19 days.
The younger players have also made the headlines recently. Matt Leinart, from the Arizona Cardinals, Reggie Bush, from the New Orleans Saints, and Vince Young, from the Tennesee Titans, three of the most promising rookies this season, scored their first touchdown this past weekend in their respective games.
And that reminds me, Among my friends I made a few predictions for this season. I said that at least three rookie quarterbacks will become starters in their teams. Leinart and Young are two of those I mentioned, so now I only need for Jake Plummer to keep making mistakes and playing erratically so that his coach decides to let Jay Cutler make the calls for the Denver Broncos... we'll see how that develops. Oh, and I also said that Andrew Walter would eventually have a chance to prove himself with the Oakland Raiders after being the number 3 QB last year, and he too is the starter now.
No comments:
Post a Comment